Commodore Hotel Plaque
Commodore Hotel Plaque. Main Street, Grange-Over-Sands.
'Commodore Hotel. The cross-sands coach service from Lancaster to Ulverston began in 1785 and by around 1820 travellers to Grange were able to rest at this coaching house then called the "Bay Horse". The remains of stables still exist today. Aturnpike road from Greenodd to Levens built in 1819 did not pass through isolated Grange and it was not until 1875 that a connecting road to Lindale finally opened. The hostelry later changed it's name to "Commercial" before taking a more more modern sounding title, "Commodore". The present car park is believed to be the location of an old sea wall where a customs house may have been. Archives from Cartmel Priory indicate this site as a likely uploading point for "sea coles" recorded in 1598'.
Commodore Hotelplaqueheritage plaqueGrangOverSandspublic houseCumbriaLancashire